Whether you plan to sell your car on Craigslist or simply trade it at the local dealership, it’s important to do everything you can to showcase your vehicle at its best. Making sure the vehicle is clean and well-maintained ensures you get the best possible resale value, with minimal hassle.
Start with Servicing
It may seem like a waste of money to take your car to the service station right before you sell it, but trust us: It can really pay off. Potential buyers want to know that you’ve been a responsible vehicle owner, and if you can assure them that you’ve just had the oil changed and the tires rotated, that gives peace of mind. Plus, it helps you identify any surprise maintenance issues that a more experienced auto owner might notice, allowing you to have the issue remedied before you sell.
Get the Paperwork in Order
We would also recommend taking the time to collect key documentation—service records, the owner’s manual, any ongoing warranty information, and the title. Assemble these files in advance to ensure a smooth sales process.
While you gather these items, you can also take the time to jot down key specs for your vehicle, such as the mileage. You’ll want to know such things when you write up your listing. (If you’re trading at a dealership, this step isn’t as necessary.)
Naturally, your car will be more attractive to potential buyers if it looks clean and tidy—so what steps should you take to clean it up before you sell? Here’s a quick checklist:
- Wash and wax the exterior of your car.
- Clean the rims and the tires.
- Take out the floor mats and wash them; if they still look gross, you may just want to buy new ones.
- Get a portable vacuum cleaner and thoroughly clean the floor, the seats, and the trunk.
- Clean out any ashtrays and cupholders in your vehicle.
- Wash the windows—both outside and in! While you’re at it, wipe down the infotainment panel and any other screens.
- Put some deodorizers in the car to remove any musty smells or foul odors.
Hopefully, these steps will leave your car looking as good as new!
Close the Sale
The last step is to consult with sites like KBB, where you can get a good sense of how much you should expect to make from the sale of your vehicle. Then you’re ready either to list or to trade, confident that your vehicle looks its very best!
To connect with a local dealership that will give you a fair deal on your trade-in, reach out to Get My Auto directly.